Sunday 26 August 2012

Blue Shoes and Happiness








I nearly bought a pair of blue shoes the other day.  I think they appealed to me because they reminded me of the title of one of books in the No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency series, Blue Shoes and Happiness.

I've devoured every book in series, including the most recent one that was published this year.   I delighted in relating to the locales and quirks described in the book, which are now quite familiar to me.

I even conducted a No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency tour with a couple of friends some time ago.  We visited the delapitated film set of the HBO series near Kgale Hill, we had tea at the President Hotel, overlooking the goings-on below in Main Mall, and we lunched at the No. 1 Ladies Opera House, a former garage converted by Alexander McCall Smith and friends into a theatre and bistro.

Everyday, I pass by Zebra Drive.  Unfortunately, I can't share a picture of the street sign because it is missing.  A case for Mma Rmaotswe, perhaps ?

I didn't end up buying the blue shoes. I opted instead for a more sensible and affordable pair of brown shoes.  But, who knows ?  Maybe I will go back for them some day.


3 comments:

  1. I am really curious about the series, maybe i hope i can find it online or on youtube. Take care Stephanie, i enjoy reading the updates.
    Rispah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mma Rmaotswe would have approved even though her assistant (I forget her name) would not have. However, I hope the brown shoes provide some lively conversations anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Unfortunately, the brown shoes and I are not on speaking terms. They ate my feet the first time I wore them !

    ReplyDelete