Tuesday 14 August 2012

Kisii Kids

One of the main drivers for the Raymer / Bishop reunion in Kenya was for my sister-in-law, Kari, to share her passion for Kenya with her new husband, my brother.  As a special gift to me, they brought my 81 year-old father along.  I didn't expect to see my family at all during my year away, so I was thrilled to have the chance to join them for at least part of their trip.  I don't think either my brother or father would have conceived of a trip to Africa were it not for the crazy women in their lives -- Kari, and of course, myself.

Kari spent her early childhood in Kisii, where her parents worked at a school for girls.  Kari has had several return visits to Kenya as a young adult, teaching in Nairobi and leading volunteer groups.  But this was the first trip back for her parents, Marilyn and Bob, apart from a brief visit in the mid-'80's.  Kari also recruited a dear friend, Toni, and her mother, Donna, from Wisconsin.  Kari and Toni worked together in Nairobi.  So, our happy troop of 8 veered off the tourist safari track to pay homage to the Raymers' old stomping grounds in the Kisii highlands.

Kari did a bit of research before coming to Kenya, knowing the Canadian and American contingent would have extra luggage space.  She found a link to the Kisii Kids Orphanage, wrote to find what they most needed, and filled up the extra suitcases with the 'blessings' they requested.  I think it's fair to say that for all of us, one of the highlights of our trip was the morning spent at the orphanage.  It is run by a young couple, Stevenson and Damaris Maranga, who have 7 children of their own, but still found the faith and conviction to take in an extra 40 or so children from the area.  They feed, clothe, and shelter them all, through the grace of donations from friends and neighbors, and even run a small school on site for the younger kids.

Here are some of the sweet faces that made our day.


Stevenson and Damaris welcome us into their home.
Kari makes a new friend.
Getting a break from class to greet the visitors.


Moses kept us company all morning.


These little ones weren't so sure about us.


3 comments:

  1. Hurray for crazy women!
    I'm pleased as punch you had the gift of a family visit while away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a wonderful story!! what a blessing for you to visit with your family and give back to another family!

    ReplyDelete