Saturday 10 November 2012

Random Ramblings: Part III

Dogs

My house is surrounded by neighbours who are more security conscious than us, judging by the number of guard dogs they have. They seem to vary between 2 and 4 per house. We have none. I don't think we need any. If ever we are visited by an intruder, I am sure the neighbours' dogs will unite in a chorus of barks and howls to advise us, and everyone else, of their presence.  They are well practiced and serenade us at all hours of the night.  Of course, no one ever checks to see what all the fuss is about.  The dogs are doing their jobs.  But are their owners ?

The High Five

There is a high school kid I pass each day on my way home. He greets me with a broad smile and his hand in the air, which I meet to complete the high five. He then bursts into a hearty laugh - each time.  If that's all it takes to make someone happy, I'll slap a hand, anytime.  I think I will miss him, once school lets out for the year.

Exclusivity

When I was in Jo'burg recently, I went on a little shopping spree.  I have already written about shoe shopping, but I didn't mention my foray into the land of lotions and potions, aka, The Body Shop. I hadn't seen a Body Shop since I left Canada, and there really isn't an equivalent in Botswana. I sniffed and sampled new and familiar scents, and left with an impressive collection: peach body scrub and body butter; a pair of exfoliating mitts; tropical scented travel shampoo; vitamin E face cream and lip balm, both with an SPF factor; and tea tree oil exfoliating face mask.  I would be set for the hot and dry months to come.

Last week, I noticed they had opened the first Body Shop in Botswana, in Riverwalk Mall.  You would think I would be excited, right ? Convenient access to my favourite products ? Instead, I felt a mild sense of disappointment.  My Jo'burg purchases no longer seemed so... exclusive.

No comments:

Post a Comment