Sunday 11 November 2012

Remembrance Day

Today is Remembrance Day. It is a significant day for my family, as my maternal grandfather, Lt-Colonel J.N. Edgar, was a veteran of World War I and World War II, where he served with Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry. 

My most treasured family photo is of my mother as a young girl, standing beside her father and mother, her little brother in his daddy's arms, in front of the Empress Hotel in Victoria, British Columbia. Granddad was wearing a pith helmet and holding the telegram with his World War II departure orders in one hand.  They were bidding him farewell, not knowing if they would ever see him again.  My mother, grandmother, and grandfather were bravely smiling for the camera. If you cover their smiles, their eyes reveal their true feelings. Four year-old Uncle David was unable to muster a smile.


 
I was 3 years-old when my grandfather passed away, and my vague memories of him are triggered by family movies and the pride in my mother's face and voice whenever she spoke of him.  My brother recently shared this memory of a conversation with him:
"He died when I was 5, but not before I asked him if he would be fighting in the 3rd world war. He laughed, and then told me that if there is ever a 3rd world war we wouldn't be needing soldiers. It took me a while to figure out what he meant. I guess that is why we have Remembrance Day."
My brother has been researching our family's history, and came across this record of his receipt of the Military Cross for his deeds at the battle of Cambrai in 1918.  A young captain at the time, he was recognized for his courage and leadership when he stepped up to lead his troop to safety after the commanding officer had fallen.



Granddad's medals are housed at the Museum of the Regiments, in Calgary, Alberta.  I stop by to see them whenever I am in Calgary.  If you happen to be in the area, pay a visit to honour our veterans and learn a bit about how our history has shaped our present.




1 comment: