Saturday 14 April 2012

Easter in Kasane - Part I: Michiko's Story

Kasane is in the North-eastern corner of Botswana, where Botswana meets Namibia, Zambia, and Zimbabwe (BoNaZaZi) at the confluence of the Chobe and Zambezi rivers that form the borders.


Flying into Maun.

I flew to Kasane via Maun, to which I will return someday, as it is the gateway to the Okavango Delta. The airport in Maun is right in the town centre. I had a few moments to spare between flights, so walked across the street to browse in a gallery / gift shop and peruse the coffee shop menu. I didn’t feel like ordering anything, so I went back to the airport to wait in the departure lounge. It was there that I met Michiko.


Michiko's Story

Michiko is one of those shining lights that flits about the universe, brightening the lives of those she encounters.

Michiko is from Ushiku, Japan. Ushiki is the sister city to Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. Michiko has been to Whitehorse. She even visited Edmonton en route to Whitehorse. Michiko has been nearly everywhere. Botswana is the 89th country she has visited. Zimbabwe will be country #90; Zambia, #91; Mozambique, #92; and Swaziland, #93. She came to Botswana via Namibia and South Africa. She couldn’t find a bus from the last town she visited in Namibia to Maun, so she hitchhiked. Fortunately, she was picked up by a friendly woman driver, who let her stay at her house in Ganzi.

Michiko is a teacher, journalist, and artist. While waiting for our flight to Kasane, she showed me her sketchbook of beautiful water-colour paintings of the places she has visited.

She indicated she had trouble finding decent accommodations in Kasane on short notice over Easter weekend, and was worried about catching malaria at the only place she could find, a campsite by the river. I invited her to stay with me, at the place I had booked. I’m glad I did – she was good company. She stayed for 2 days, then headed off to Zimbabwe to paint Victoria Falls under the light of the full moon.

Michiko is a 62 year-old divorced mother of 3 and grandmother of 2.

3 comments:

  1. What a lovely, heartwarming story and an inspirational and brave soul! Thanks for sharing Steph. I want be like Michiko!
    Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As much as I love traveling with friends and family, solo travel has its benefits. As a solo travel, you are much more approachable to other travelers, and meet interesting folks you might not otherwise encounter. I figured I'd help Michiko out, knowing, if I was in her position, I'd appreciate an offer of a safe place to stay.

      Delete
  2. I am reading a book that when we practice generosity = it returns itself in strange ways. This is an example of that!

    ReplyDelete