Wednesday 4 April 2012

Tea for Elders

It was tea break at a meeting this afternoon. My colleague politely deferred to me as tea was served. I asked her, "Aren't you having any ?" She replied, "In my culture, we serve tea to the Elders first."

It may be hard to admit to myself, but, apparently, I am considered to be an elder here. And a potential pensioner. I just had a birthday, and reached the age that a public servant could start to collect a pension in Botswana (meeting certain conditions, of course).

Ironically, the age to collect a pension has just been increased in Canada, from 65 to 67, which is a good 22 years longer than one can do so, here, and 5+ years older than the average Motswana can expect to live.

I scanned the recent Canadian federal budget, and found this explanation for the increase:

"Canadians are living longer and healthier lives. In 1970 life expectancy was age 69 for men and 76 for women. Today it is 79 for men and 83 for women. The baby boom generation (born between 1946 and 1964) is also the largest age cohort in history. As Canadians are living longer and healthier lives, many may prefer to work longer."

I had to chuckle at the last sentence. Why Mr. Harper, that's quite a presumption !

Mind you, I am not complaining about now having to work longer; in fact, I can only hope that I will be able to work longer. The sobering reality is that not many people in the world have that luxury.

As referred to earlier, the average life expectancy in Botswana is about 62 (61.85 in 2010). Not long ago, in 2003, the life expectancy was a startling 32.26.

The prevalence of HIV has had significant impacts on the population in Botswana. Since the first diagnosis of HIV and AIDS in Botswana in 1985, the country has experienced higher morbidity, mortality, and infant mortality rates and decreased life expectancy. In recent years, however, due largely to the introduction of free antiretroviral therapy, Botswana’s life expectancy has seen significant improvements.

Let's hope it continues to improve, so our friends here can join us in bemoaning rising retirement ages.

2 comments:

  1. :) It's your wisdom not your appearance!
    Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wendy said the same thing of Laos. The earlier you retire, indeed the longer you live :)

    ReplyDelete