Monday 30 April 2012

A day in the life of a development worker

Thursday morning. I am writing a proposal to get funding to update our information technology and communications systems. Why we need these things will soon become apparent.

I need a quote from a contractor to include in the proposal's budget.

Plan of action: call the contractor, ask for quote.

Simple task, no ?

Pick up phone.

No dial tone.

I ask around, and discover I need a code to make calls. (I am just learning this now, as I have only used my cell phone for calls before, at my expense. It is getting to be too expensive to keep doing so.)

There is no code for me, but someone graciously offers to let me use theirs.

Pick up phone and make call.

I get a hold of the person responsible for orders, but the connection is bad and there seems to be a language barrier.

He asks me to send my request by email.

I can not do so.

Our email is down, yet again. (This is one of the things we are hoping to address through our funding request.)

We agree to meet to discuss the request in person.

I have to get across town.

Fortunately, our driver is on duty today. He will take me to the contractor's office later in the morning.

The driver takes me to an industrial part of town.

We can not find the office.

After a call to the contractor, we learn that Glick Auto Centre, the main part of their address, is now the Total Service Station. Ohhhh !

I meet with the contractor and get the quote I need.

He prints the quote for me.

I get back to the office, and take a closer look at the quote.

There is an oversight.

I call the contractor and ask him to send a corrected version.

Our email is still down, so I give him our fax number.

I wait by the fax machine.

The light is flashing.

We are out of toner.

I ask around to see where the toner is.

There is no toner.  (Maybe I should include a budget for toner in the proposal ?)

I go back to my office.

Thank goodness ! Our email is now working.

I send an email to the contractor, letting him know that our fax machine is down, but our internet is now up. Can he send the revised quote by email ?

The email message bounces back.

I call the contractor.

'Call back', I am told. 'He is away for lunch.'

I call back.

'Oh yes - that email address is not working. SMS me your email and I will send you the quote.'

I text him my email address.

He sends the amended quote from a different email address.

I include the quote in the proposal.  Finally !

I sure hope we get that funding !

4 comments:

  1. you could entitle this "a day in the life of a non-profit worker in Edmonton" :) ha ha. It wasn't until I left PHAC that I appreciated the photocopy room. Seriously.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah - I thought others could relate ! I really miss being able to randomly print rough drafts of paper to scrawl notes on as part of the writing process. Now, printing is not possible, so I do everything on the screen.

      Delete
  2. I've had experiences like that working for the Canadian govt.!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! ... your writing gifts are really shining my friend! thanks for sharing & keep up the perseverance, they are very fortunate to have your calm, cool, collected, & dedicated spirit working for them :)

    ReplyDelete