Wednesday 23 May 2012

Canadian Dinner, 2012

My colleague, Bonolo, invited me to cook a 'Canadian' meal for her friends and family. I mulled over this prospect for a couple of weeks, as the date was shifted to accommodate more guests, and consulted with friends and family over Facebook to determine what would constitute a 'Canadian' meal.

If I were at home, I would serve visitors from overseas something like bison meat, or smoked salmon -- items that are not found here.  If  I were serving dinner to my fellow Canadian friends, it would likely be take-out sushi or a pre-cooked lasagne from M&Ms (just being honest, guys) -- again, not options here (and not what one would typically consider to be 'Canadian').

So, what constitutes a 'Canadian' meal in a foreign land ?

Ready to be served...(it's dark because the power is out)

The Menu

Green Salad                             (because Canadians like multiple courses?)
Shepherd's Pie                         (to represent the English/Irish tradition, Alberta beef, 
                                                  and PEI potatoes)
Chicken curry and rice            (to represent more of Canada's multi-cultural heritage)
Macaroni and Cheese             (in tribute to Canadian cheddar cheese... and because 
                                                 I honestly didn't know how many people I was cooking for, 
                                                 if I had enough food, 
                                                 and if there would be kids present who would like mac'n cheese 
                                                 as much as I did as a kid -- and still do);
and for dessert, 
Apple cobbler, served with ice cream and maple syrup 
                                              (apples, to represent a Canadian fall harvest 
                                               -- if it was fall in Canada like it is here --
                                              and the ice cream as a vehicle to serve the maple syrup.)

Self-serve, buffet style.  That's Bonolo's home made ginger beer in the jugs.


 The Dinner

Bonolo picked me up at 4:00 pm so I could get things ready before her guests arrived.  They were expected to arrive by 5:00 pm.  Dinner got off to a bit of a late start as some guests were late arriving and a power failure slowed the heating time.  Once the evening got underway with formal welcomes and introductions, we were a table of 8 -- three married couples (all expecting a second or third child), another single colleague, Tebogo, and myself.  Three little kids (one dressed as spider man) and their aunties / nannies milled about on the periphery, but didn't join us at the table.  

Waiting for the others to arrive, by candle light (black out).  Do you like the centre piece ?
The Verdict

Mixed reviews.  Diners commented that the Shepherd's Pie constituted a full, balanced meal, on its own; no comments on the curry and rice, but it was all eaten; there was a lot of leftover macaroni (kids had already been fed, and it had dried out while being reheated); I was asked for my apple cobbler recipe; and people seemed to really enjoy the maple syrup.

What's next on the 'Eat Like a Canuck' menu ?  Canadian brunch - with Dad's pancake recipe and more fresh maple syrup, recently delivered by a fellow volunteer.    
Where ?  My beautiful new house, with indoor and outdoor dining areas.  
When ?  Once my new house-mate has had a chance to settle in.   
For Whom ?  For everyone who has been helpful to me here -- the list is growing !
Why ? Because entertaining is fun -- even in the dark !

4 comments:

  1. Sounds delicious! I was invited to a potluck and asked to bring a Canadian dish. I went through the same dilemna as you. I chose to bring an "American" dish - tacos! Everyone enjoyed them.
    Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tacos -- I didn't think of that ! Although, I might have had to make the tortilla shells by scratch.

      Delete
  2. I guess you don't have the option of serving something that's a year old from your freezer Steph! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Delicious Recipes,really mouth watering,thanks for sharing us interesting post,nice collection of photos....

    ReplyDelete