Monday 14 May 2012

Mother's Day Flowers: One Rose and A Violet

Yesterday was Mother's Day.  I spent the afternoon at a lovely outdoor cafe that is part of a greenhouse/nursery.  I went with two newly arrived volunteers, looking for something to do on a Sunday afternoon.  It seemed a fitting tribute to my late mother to be surrounded by roses on Mother's Day.  I made it a point to smell and appreciate a budding peace rose, Mom's favourite.  My Mother's Day rose to Mom.  Those who remember my mother will recall her fondness for roses. 

We parted ways after lunch so I could prepare for my move (yes, I have moved!).  One of my (now former) housemates, Melissa, kindly offered to take me and my belongings to the new place. 

The housekeeper, Violet, was there to let us in.  As I was transferring my bags to my new room, Melissa chatted with Violet. From the snippets of the conversation I heard, I could tell they were making small talk about Mother's Day.

Violet: "I have one daughter."
Melissa:  "She must be a very special daughter."
Violet:  "Too special !"  (meaning what, that she is spoiled?)

Violet:  "But she is not my only child.  I also look after the children of my late brothers and sisters.  So, I really have 10 children."

At an appropriate time, I will ask Violet more about her life and how she looks after these 10 children.

I don't need to ask what happened to shorten the lives of her brothers and sisters.  Some things just don't need to be asked here.

Violet lives on the property with us, so I am curious to know where the children live, who looks after them while she is here with us, how often she gets to go see them (given she is here 6 days a week), what kind of support and help she gets, if any, etc.  If I find out, I will let you know. 

I am sure there are many more Violets here and elsewhere who deserve a Mother's Day rose.



2 comments:

  1. yes, many violets. glad you got a chance to smell a peace rose :) have you ever watched that movie "Searching for Anne" - a japanese film - it features a peace rose.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Violet's kids are close to grown, with one still in school. All but one still live in her home village, where she returns at the end of each month. Her biological daughter has an 8-month old baby, and her eldest adopted son works as a diamond polisher. The older kids helped raise the younger ones. I told her they were lucky to have her in their lives. She enthusiastically agreed with me.

    ReplyDelete