Saturday 5 May 2012

Tree Talk


 Life Happens Under Trees.
Under her acacia tree was a dusty place to sit… 
 It was a place that encouraged thought. It was here that Mma Ramotswe would 
contemplate some of the issues which, in everyday life, may be so easily pushed aside.” 
 There are more trees in Gaborone than I expected to see in a city that hugs the Kalahari.   
I’ve come to learn that not only thought happens under the shade provided by Gaborone’s 
and Botswana’s trees...Significant moments happen under trees.     There is a 100+ year old 
morula tree that spans over Nelson Mandela Drive.    It is protected as the founding site of the  Botswana Democratic Party in 1962.  In Kasane, there is  baobob tree in whose hollow prisoners were held until the town’s first prison was built ...Enterprise happens under trees. Trees provide shade for make-shift snack stands, for car washes, for tire shops.    When I direct friends to my house, I say, "Turn right after the car wash tree."  They know what I mean. 
My taxi stop is an unmarked tree behind the Methodist Church....
  Rest and respite        happen         under trees.   
           Half way       through     my walk home, 
I pass under a small grove 
of large trees.    
Their roots 
poke through
the pavement, 
as a reminder 
to the city that, 
“ We were here 
before you rose
 and we will be here
long after you fall.”   
For the 30 seconds or so 
that it takes for me to pass under the trees, 
    the din of traffic     is replaced     by the banter of birds   who breed in the branches.  
For 30 seconds,         I am transported     to another world.       Life Happens Under Trees.

 

8 comments:

  1. very cool and creative, Steph. I think Alexander Mcall Smith would approve!! I remember those baobab trees well!Keep up the writing!! Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice thoughts, I like the tree shape especially!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like it very much, thanks Steph.
    Ris

    ReplyDelete
  4. Serendipity, we posted blogs about trees at the same time. I have another couple of tree blogs up my sleeve. The trees here are spectacular as are the birds, possums and koalas who live in them. I love the tree shape you made. How'd you do that?
    How are you doing? Home sick?
    Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stephanie - a shape poem! how creative! I like it. I love trees. I often wonder how many secrets they've heard, stories told, ... trees know so much!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE THIS Steph!!!

    What a gift you have shared with your poetic creativity :)

    Mahsi cho!

    Keep it up & thanks for sharing :) :) :)

    Teresa

    p.s. you may wish to send this to a few magazines or nature organizations who may want to publish it & share it with their subscribers :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for your feedback everyone...

    ReplyDelete