Thursday 7 June 2012

Greetings

I have mentioned in earlier posts the importance of greetings here.  It is not at all uncommon for complete strangers to greet one another in passing -- in fact, it is expected. 

I have not once had a "Dumela" or "Good morning" go unacknowledged.

Even by teenagers.  Imagine that !  Anywhere else you would approach an unknown teenager, you would get a strange look, a stifled, awkward laugh, or be made to feel exceedingly uncool.  Here, you get a return, "Dumela Mma", a nod, a smile, and sometimes, the beginning of a conversation.  More often than not, they are the ones initiating the exchange.

The same can happen with even younger kids who may not have been taught the lessons of stranger danger.  Not everyone would agree with this method of raising children, but it seems to work here. 

Each day, I pass by a small house around the corner from my office  This house is usually unattended by people, but always has an assorted variety of sleepy dogs, and on a couple of occasions, horses and livestock (yes, in a city !).  We figure the residents spend most of their time at the cattle post.

Yesterday, I was surprised by the call of "Dumela Mma" emanating from a small boy in the yard.  He must have been about 3 or 4 years old.  He was picking up handfuls of sand and letting the grains sift through his fingers.  I answered, "Dumela Rra".  "Where are you going ?" he asked.  "I am going to work".  "Oh -- I am from the Village !", he announced proudly.  "Well, how very nice of you to come see us in the City !", I answered.  We wished each other good day, and went about our respective business.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Stephanie, I think that the people of Botswana still practice the art of conversation. I read your post and thought "what an elegant exchange". Have a good day

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw my little friend again today, and we had a similar exchange, with the question, "Where are you going?" I answered, again, "I am going to work." This was met with a mournful, "I wish I was going to work." I replied, "You will go to work someday soon. In the meantime, you need to play and learn and grow a lot." "Okay, I will do that !"

    ReplyDelete
  3. mmm - indeed - very elegant exchanges. very honest - ... i wonder why he does not want to stay at home? perhaps you can ask him next time?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. His family can't afford to send him to pre-school when they are in town. It is expensive here. So, he entertains himself by playing with sand and chatting with passersby. I think he gets a little bored and lonely.

      Delete