Wednesday 6 June 2012

Names

When I meet someone with a Setswana name I haven't heard before, I ask them what it means.  It is always something interesting.  I work with Lorato (Love) and Bonolo (Humility).  I went to Karabo (Answer)'s wedding.  I met baby Kamogelo (Accept) at a funeral.  I took a taxi ride with Kealebago (Thanks). 

There are also those I know who have standard English names:  Irene, Paul, Veronica, David.

But the names I find most charming are the ones that express character traits in English. I recently went to a meeting hosted by Beauty, and sat next to Polite.  We all know the name Precious from Alexander McCall Smith's No.1 Ladies Detective Agency series.  I have met a couple of women named Precious.  I also know Patience.  Karabo's groom Innocent is the brother of Gift

Whenever I hear names like these, in Setswana or English, I think about the kind of values and traits  that are held important by Batswana society -- or at least by the parents of these fine people.

2 comments:

  1. I would like my name to be Accept. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that is a great name. I wonder what Batswana people think of North American children named Snooky?

    ReplyDelete