Friday 8 June 2012

May Mayhem

 (Okay, so not really "mayhem" per se,  in the destructive havoc-wreaking sense of the term...but May was a chaotic month, nonetheless.)

You may have noticed my entries for the month of  May and early June have been a little thin. It turned out to be a very busy time, for some of the reasons mentioned below, and I am a little behind in my blog posts.  I have already written about a couple of these events, and I am now trying to catch up on the others...so stay tuned !

In May/early June, I:
  • moved into a new new house
  • broke in a new housemate (just teasing, Erin)
  • learned new routes, routines
  • introduced a couple of newly arrived volunteers to some of my favourite places in and around Gaborone
  • worked long hours (due to a couple of exciting projects)
  • fought a bronchial infection (note to self:  do not self-medicate with Cipro -- ever agan)
  • worked on my Serlo forms (that's the innocuous sounding acronym for the "selection for retention or lay-off" process many in the federal public service of Canada are now going through)
  • long-distance managed a tree falling on my house
  • ventured to the Okavango Delta for a weekend safari by horseback, mokoro (poled dug-out canoe), and on foot
  • introduced some local friends to "Canadian cuisine" (I have to use the quotation marks, since I'm still not sure what that is)
  • attended a funeral and a baby shower, in the same day (celebrating the end of one life, and the beginning of another)

4 comments:

  1. i want to know what happened to the cipro incident! by the way, the hash house harriers - sounds like a wonderful group!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's just say that cipro is probably more effective in treating other kinds of infections. It went to work where it wasn't needed.
      Yes, the hashers are a fun group.

      Delete
  2. Hash House Harriers?! I had heard they were world wide from some of the ones I know here. Do you have your nickname yet? Or is that just an Edmonton tradition?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Stephanie:
    We are so enjoying your blog. When you are through it will be a book.

    I have shared your blog with Carol Meir here in Sherwood Park. Carol
    started the "GANG" program and the fund raising initatives for the Grandma's in Africa.

    My neighbor Carrie and I are reading "The #1 Ladies Detective Agency, we are on our 8th book. We love reading them and relating them to parts of your blog.

    Hope all is well with you.
    EJ Pommen

    ReplyDelete