Tuesday 13 March 2012

Everyday Setswana

I picked up a Setswana phrase book yesterday to help boost my vocabulary.  While glancing through it, I came across some useful - and not so useful - phrases.

Let's start with the not so useful ones:
  • Go semanthane.  There is snow.  I doubt I will use this phrase during my time here.
  • Saka.  Shark.  I won't likely need to shout this out as a warning, on the fringes of the Kalahari desert.
Some phrases that may come in handy, but I hope I will never have to use:
  • PhephengScorpion.  We saw a cousin to the phepheng poking around our gear as we were packing up camp.  Next time, I think I will wear closed-toe shoes when I go camping.
  • NogaSnake.
  • Mokwepa.   Mamba.  I hope I don't have any close encounters with a noga, and especially not a mokwepa.
  • Seteisene sa mapodisa.  Police station.
  • Motseneledi.  Intruder.  Let's hope I never have to go to the seteisene sa mapodisa to report a motseneledi.  
  • The dithibelbogodu (burglar bars) on my windows should deter a potential motseneledi.  I have to admit, it has taken some adjusting to get used to living behind walls, wires, and bars.  I haven't felt threatened in any way, but I guess these precautions are here for a reason.
  • I also hope I will never have to go to the seteisene sa mapodisa to report a kotsi ya tsela  (road accident).  Although many expats buy used cars for the excellent resale value, I am not yet ready to venture out on city streets, especially during pharakano e e pitaganeng  (rush hour).  I think I would get frustrated with the kgotlhagano ya pharakano (traffic jams). 
  • So far, I have been pretty healthy.  If that changes, then I may need to consult a ngaka (doctor) or, perhaps, even a ngaka ya Setswana (traditional healer).  Fortunately, I was introduced to a very nice ngaka as part of my orientation.
 Some phrases I hope to use very soon:
  • Ke rata mninoI like music.  I am planning to go to a pontsho e e tselang  (live show) this weekend.
  • I would also like to try go thala metsing  (sailing).  Believe it or not, there is a yacht club at the Gaborone Dam. 
Some phrases you may not need to learn in other places:
  • KhutsanaAn orphan.
  • DikhutsanengOrphanage.   An 'orphan' is defined by the United Nations as a child who has lost one or both parents. Worldwide, it is estimated that more than 16 million children under 18 have been orphaned by AIDS. Around 14.8 million of these children live in sub-Saharan Africa. In some countries, which are badly affected by the epidemic, a large percentage of all children (for example 16% of children in Zimbabwe and 12% in Botswana and Swaziland), are orphaned due to AIDS.  --  You didn't think I would post another item without including something about my work or Etsi (AIDS), did you ?  BOCAIP offers programs to provide care and support for Orphans and Vulnerable Children, and I will post more about what they do through these programs at another time.
Go sieme ! (Good-bye !)

2 comments:

  1. first of all - stephanie, you are supposed to show the folk of botswana that canadian people know how to camp! what's this about not wearing closed toe shoes! For shame!! :) secondly, by the time you get back, you will be like rispah and i - who LIKE closed windows, and locked doors, and extra security - I didn't grow up in the Philippines, but of course, I was raised in a filipino home. And hence I am now a security expert!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Steph,
    I like the background and suggest you change this panel to a colour that has a Botswana flavour.
    I need to watch out for saka(s) - well not really but I will anyway - I still suffer PTSD from the movie Jaws!
    And...I watch out for noga(s) every morning on my ride to school.
    Cynthia

    ReplyDelete