Thursday 22 March 2012

Sharing Space: Part II

"That's (human) nature. Sometimes it reaches out to you".

I am trying to adapt Ian's advice on living with little critters to my recent experience, being pick-pocketed for the first time ever, anywhere.

Someone reached out and helped themselves to my little change purse I used to store my taxi/combi pulas and thebes. I kept it in a place that was accessible to me, and to others, too, apparently. This happened yesterday, I suspect, while walking on the overpass from the station to Rail Park Mall. I felt someone bump into me, in what was a quick and fleeting moment. It's a small loss in terms of monetary value, but serves as a not so subtle reminder that I need to keep my guard up, and that no matter how long I am here, I will always be visible as a visitor, a beacon of privilege. I am sharing space here, with many wonderful people, but also with those (likely, those facing desperate situations) who may see me as a target.

And, I will miss my little change purse, a souvenir from Buenos Aires, with separate pockets for my going to work and coming home pulas. I am back to resorting to my travel stand-by change purse -- a ziploc baggie -- that I will keep in a less so convenient, and accessible, place.

1 comment:

  1. Sorry to hear about your theft Steph. I was robbed in Athens last year. My first time too. I lost a bag with my camera, IPod, cell phone, reading and sunglasses, binoculars, journal, pen, etc. Fortunately my money and passport were in my money belt so we kept going and made the ferry to Santorini with minutes to spare. The only thing I mourned was the camera. But I know how you feel about the purse. I think when you are travelling with so little you really hold to the things that mean something to you. My daughter gave me a pen for Xmas that I use for journalling. I lost it in Tasmania and was surprised how upset I was. It's just a pen, just stuff, but it had a special meaning for me.
    Take care and be aware.
    Cynthia

    ReplyDelete