Sunday 18 March 2012

Sharing Space

"That's nature. Sometimes it reaches out to you."

That was Ian's nonchalant response when we told him we spotted a mouse in the yard.

Coming from a city cloaked in winter most of the year, I am not accustomed to sharing space with little critters. It's too cold for most to survive our climate (with the exception of the dreaded pine beetle). And, as Albertans, we pride ourselves on being rat free. I've never known how, but we manage to turn them away at our provincial borders. There are coyotes and rabbits and other fauna that visit our river valley neighborhoods, but none that move in with us.

Now, not only do I have a resident chicken, and a gecko that sings to me at night, but I am also sharing space with a mouse.

I've come to think of these critters less as pests, and more so, as little living reminders that we share our space with others. Maybe we could use more little reminders at home ?

5 comments:

  1. Synchroncity. I have become friendly with Glenn Laverack. Not sure if you are familiar with his empowerment and community articles and books he's written on his own and with Ron Labonte. Anyway today at lunch we were talking about 'critters'. There was a possum in the backyard last night keeping me awake as it sounded humanlike. Glenn was telling me about the rat that ate part of his daughter's birthday cake not long after his wife pulled it out of the oven! Rats, eek. I do remember sewer rats in Winnipeg and I have a good story about mice in my car coming back from hiking after someone left peanut butter in my trunk, but rats?!
    I was worried yesterday when I saw your post titled 'my journey home'. I thought you had headed back to Canada. But like you I am now calling this place home. How quickly we adjust. And, is KFC everywhere?
    Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What - you are friends with Glenn Laverack? He's my hero!!! He focuses on communities and not academics! I'm jealous!!!(sorry Steph - your blog postings allow me to interact with others in my community)

      Delete
  2. I'd like to read some of his stuff. I imagine you must have some dynamic conversations, about critters and pop health matters. Wish I could be a fly on the wall (or a mouse in the yard).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good post Steph! The world would probably be a healthier place if more people didn't regard the small & "icky" as a contaminant or disgusting. Greg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Update: Roast, the chicken, has been sent to the farm. He was getting to be too demanding and messy. Instead, we are now graced by a monkey that makes nightly (noisy!) visits to our roof. Also, now that it is getting a bit colder at night, we are joined my more little 8-legged friends, seeking warmth in our cupboards.

      Delete