Wednesday 24 October 2012

Cape Town: Peninsula and Penguins

We took a tour of the Cape Peninsula, all the way to the Cape of Good Hope, where the intermingling currents of the Atlantic and Indian Oceans create the micro-climate of Cape Town and its environs.

My favourite stop en route was at Boulder Beach, Simon's Town -- home to a delightful African Penguin colony.





I asked my Facebook friends to come up with a caption for this photo.  Here is what they came up with:
  1.  "I call this meeting to order."
  2. "I told you already - I gave the goods to Eddie!"
  3.  "Everyone, bow to me, for I am the master of the Universe!!"
  4.  "The game of "hokey pokey" turned maudlin when they realized that they could not put their left foot in and shake it all about."
  5.  "Penguin Sundial."
  6.  "No one knew quite how to tell Bob that he was not Napoleon."
  7.  "Simon says, everybody stand! I don't think the rest if you guys get how to play the game!"
  8.  "All that prep and this is my entire audience for the presidential debate!"
  9.  "What should we talk about first--the economy or healthcare?'
  10.  "Now in this yoga position, it's important to pull in your abs ..."
  11.  "Wake up, time to go to work!"


The Republic of Hout Bay (Yes, a self proclaimed republic, with their own passports and everything!)


Chapman Peak's Drive, where the Mazda 3 "zoom zoom zoom" commercial was shot.

Cape of Good Hope, the most south-western point of Africa.  (Technically, Cape Agulhas is the most southerly point of the continent.)

Cape Point.
I did not expect to see ostriches at the coast.  Somehow, I have come to associate them with the desert and savannah.
The rare Bontebok antelope.

The "Twelve Apostles" of Table Mountain, as seen from Camp's Bay.

Camp's Bay beach.
Why so few swimmers ?  Because the water is cold !  Very, very cold !




3 comments:

  1. How cold is it? Like Canada cold or it "drops" to 30 C?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Greg - The currents come from the Antarctic, so the water is much too cold to swim in (even for a Canadian) without a wetsuit.

      Delete
  2. After reading this again for some reason I imagined an ostrich pummeling a Mazda 3.

    ReplyDelete