Sunday 14 October 2012

Confinement

It is customary in Botswana for a mother to go into a period of 'confinement' for about 3 months after her baby has been born.  The labour laws provide for maternity leave for 3 months, upon submission to the employer of a written note that the period of confinement has commenced.  Once they have returned to work, mothers are then permitted a leave of one hour per day to go home to nurse the baby, up to the baby's first birthday.  It is also customary that the new mom's own mother will stay with her to help manage the family and household during this period.  The mother-in-law is called in for subsequent births.  During the period of confinement, mom and babe are discouraged from leaving the house, and visitors are not permitted.  This is to keep the baby free from germs.

It was with these understandings in mind that I sent my colleague and friend a congratulatory text message when I got news that her baby had been born.  Towards the end of her period of confinement, I was surprised to see her at the baby shower for another friend and colleague of ours.  She pulled me aside and asked why I hadn't come to see her.  She had been expecting my visit.  I apologized, and explained that I didn't think I was allowed to visit.  She laughed, and explained that rules of confinement are more flexible these days.

So, when I heard that my two other friends recently welcomed new babies into their lives, I was careful not to make the same mistake.  In my congratulatory text messages, I asked if they were ready for visitors.  They said yes.

Here are some pictures from my visits to 4-day old Ndiye Tjezuva Mandigo, and 2-week old Unabo Martina Morapedi.  Unabo has already had her first hair-cut.  It is customary here to shave the baby's head once the umbilical cord has fallen out. Ndiye gave us a fashion show of some outfits my friends had sent from Canada (thanks, guys!).











No comments:

Post a Comment