Monday 15 October 2012

Nests

This weaver nest fell out of the tree in my yard.  I put it in the crook of the tree in case the weaver birds want to use it for parts.  These city weavers are always working to perfect their nests. They are works of art !


Weaver bird at work.

The weaver bird nests we found outside Kasane were much more organic and less precise (i.e., messier) than those of their city cousins.


This nest, we found in Namibia, was built by Sociable Weavers (that's really their name!).  Dozens of birds live together in one nest.



I've lived in a few different nests, lately.  My first place in Gaborone would have been more akin to the Sociable Weavers' nest, where I lived with several people, commune style.  My new place is more like the weaver nests in the tree in my yard.  We each have our self-contained units in the same tree (i.e., house).  In Edmonton,  I have a cozy little nest of my own that I will return to when I am finished my contract here.

It's comforting to know that wherever you live, for whatever length of time, it doesn't take long to feather a nest that you can call home.

Photos of nests 2 and 3 are brought to you by LD


No comments:

Post a Comment