Friday 19 October 2012

Random Ramblings: Part I

Cows

Why are there so many cows roaming the city streets these days ?
(and where are their owners, for that matter ?)
This morning, I was forced to mooove off the sidewalk to make way for a dozen or so cows.
The other day, I laughed as a herd of cows crossed a busy intersection, at the lights.  How did they know that was where they were supposed to cross ?

The Whistle

I passed by a construction site and heard a whistle.  I haven't heard one of those in years !  Rather than feeling embarrassed or offended, like I may have in my 20's, I acknowledged the attention with a bow.  At my age, I will take what I can get !

Hair

I have to admit, women's ever changing hair styles confused me when I first arrived here.  One day, someone would have elaborate braids, the next, a shortly-cropped afro, and then the following week, a sleekly tied back bun.  Even now, I am never quite sure what is real hair, a wig, or extensions.  Becky came to work with a short afro tied with a pretty scarf.  I commented on how natural she looked.  She dryly replied, "What, this ? This is a wig."  

There are so many saloons (salons are called saloons here), and hair styling is a big business.  Some of the more elaborate dos take hours, or even days, to create.  Tebogo wore a hat to a Saturday evening dinner.  Someone asked what happened to her hair, and she responded, "It is under construction."





No comments:

Post a Comment