Sunday 21 October 2012

Chobe and the Delta, Revisited


I was happy to show my visiting friend, Lorraine, some of my favourite parts of Botswana.  This, of course, included the Chobe and Okavango Delta, spots I had visited earlier in the year.  It is a lot drier now, which means there is a greater concentration of wildlife near the riverside.

In Chobe, I was excited to spot my first leopards !  These beautiful cats had eluded me on all my previous safaris.

Our Delta days were hot and lazy, and we enjoyed going on walking safaris and cooling off in the channels' swimming holes.  Fortunately, the crocs and hippos left us alone !  The swimming hole near our campsite was a short walk away.  Directions ?  "Follow this path, and then take a left at the elephant."  Seriously - An elephant was on our path !

On one of our walks, we came across two bull elephants.  We stayed quiet and motionless as the elder statesman approached us to assess whether or not we were a threat.  Fortunately, he decided we were okay.  Our guide explained that he was the father to the adolescent male, and this was his time to teach his son "how to be a man".   I am not quite sure I know what that means, in elephant terms.

I also took Lorraine across to Zimbabwe to see Victoria Falls.  With less spray and lower flow than I witnessed in April, I saw more of the expanse of the falls.


Why is it so hard to spot a leopard ?  Because they are already spotted !
This juvenile was waiting for us at the roadside.  It's mother was watching from the bushes, a safe distance away.



We later found this one in a tree.

The elephants did not disappoint !
What a croc !


This bell frog and his friends serenaded us at night.
Water lily.



Lazy Delta days !
Tia hitches a ride !



I found this humerus ! (haha)
I have a bone to pick with you !
Another beautiful Delta sunset !


We took a helicopter flight over Victoria Falls.



Can you see the people swimming on the edge of the falls ?  They are crazy ! (...but it does look like fun, doesn't it ?)


Leopard, frog, and sunset pictures courtesy of LD and her awesome camera.

No comments:

Post a Comment