Friday 4 January 2013

Christmas Road Trip - Swazi Sanctuary

I don't think I would have thought, a year ago, that I would be spending Christmas 2012 in a grass hut in Swaziland -- but I am so glad I did -- it turned out to be a delightful treat !

We stayed at the Mlilwane Wildlife Sanctuary, in traditional Swazi style beehive huts. The sanctuary was a virtual Garden of Eden, with all sorts of species of antelopes (bleisboks, nyalas, impalas, waterbucks) and zebras roaming freely. We didn't bump into the resident hippos, which is probably a good thing, but we did see crocodiles, turtles, and plenty of bird life in the little lake we looked out over while having breakfast.  I had to wait for a herd of zebras to cross my path one evening on my way back to my hut.

We spent Christmas morning at the homestead of a Swazi Chief (see next post) before returning to the lodge for a sumptuous Christmas lunch.  We retreated to our grass huts to wait out a glorious afternoon thunder and lightening storm, while the local revelers continued their picnics and swims (not too wise in a thunderstorm?).  As it turns out, the Swazi hut builders know what they are doing -- not one drop of water leaked through my grass hut !



Merry Christmas, 2012 !


Our breakfast area overlooked this lake, teeming with birdlife, crocs, turtles, and fish.


Local revelers enjoy their Christmas afternoon with a braai, picnic, and swim...despite the impending thunder and lightening storm!

While I didn't run into the local hippos, I did have to make way for a herd of zebras on the way to my hut.
 
My Swazi hut !


Bleisbok.

The nyala who greeted me outside my hut on Christmas morning.

1 comment:

  1. amazing Stephanie! The experience alone would be a Christmas present.

    ReplyDelete