Monday 14 January 2013

I am WOMAN

On November 30th, I represented BOCAIP at the 50th Anniversary of a well-known international women's organization in Botswana.  The anniversary date happened to fall within the 16 Days of Action Against Gender-Based Violence.  The event organizers and keynote speakers were careful to note the links between gender-based violence, women's development, and the spread of HIV -- topics I could expand on, but will reserve for discussions with those willing to so engage. 

So, I was a little surprised, in this enlightened environment, to see some text in the inside of the event folder that seemed a little...shall I say...out of step with the times.

The word WOMAN was written out as an acronym.

W - Wise
O - Ornament
M - Multiskilled
A - Advisor
N - Noble

"Ornament" ?  Really ?  Need I say more ??

I am not even sure how the word "Advisor" is meant, in this context. 
Advisors to whom ? -- Decision-makers who are not women ?

I've struggled with blogging about this sooner, as I don't want to come across as judgemental or culturally insensitive -- afterall, women continue to be objectified as 'ornaments' in our Western society -- but I like to think that my Batswana friends are pretty progressive, and I welcome insights from those who wish to comment.

And, I welcome suggestions for an alternative "O".

No comments:

Post a Comment