Monday 21 January 2013

Fish Food

It's no secret that I am a fan of spas.  Being pampered every now and then makes me feel good.  Call me crazy!  Last week, when I was recovering from my mystery Maun malady, I booked myself a spa appointment immediately following my visit to the doctor's office.  The doctor prescribed water and rest; I prescribed a back massage and pedicure.

My transition to life back home is going to be a little tough, as I will be leaving a job, a life and people I have grown to love.  My friends intuitively recognize this, so a couple asked what they could do to help me settle back in.  My answer: "Two words -- Spa Day".  So, I have a spa day with friends to look forward to when I return.  That will lift my spirits, I am certain.

Last November, when I was visiting with my Czech friends in Cape Town, we had to come up with a rainy day alternative to the outdoor plans we had made. Alice and I decided we would book ourselves into a spa for pedicures.  Standa, the ever patient and obliging husband, resolved to hang out in a coffee shop and wait for us. The spa Alice and I found specialized in Fish Therapy.

I haven't blogged about this sooner, because I knew I would get a scolding from my public health friends back home. I am fully aware that Fish Spas have been closed in parts of Canada and the USA due to public health concerns. Please be assured that I did ask about their water filtration system and made sure I had no open wounds that would spread or receive infections. 

That being said, I was still a little uneasy about dipping my feet into a fish tank.  I couldn't look down.  I felt little electric shocks all over my feet and calves.  Soon, I got used the the tingly sensation, but I still couldn't look.

Alice, who had been chatting with Standa about which coffee shop he would go to, took one look at the activity around my feet and told the clinician, "I am cancelling my appointment.  I will join my husband for coffee and come back for my friend in 30 minutes."  That is exactly what she did -- but not before snapping this photo.




The fish did their job of sloughing off the dead skin before the clinician went to work on my nails.

As I was leaving, the spa offered me a frequent customer card.  I politely declined.



No comments:

Post a Comment