Thursday 24 January 2013

Magical Madikwe

Last weekend, I had a magical time in Madikwe, a game reserve just across the border in South Africa.  It is so close -- less than an hour and a half drive away, including time for the border crossing. I can't believe I had never been before !  

I accompanied Amanda, a WUSC Leave for Change volunteer wanting to have the safari experience, and we were joined by my friends John, Naki, and Tomek on Sunday. 

I found accommodations for Amanda and I at Motswiri Lodge, a 5-star luxury lodge, and we were not disappointed.  It is low season, now that the holiday rush has abated, and we had the whole lodge to ourselves ! We were thoroughly spoiled -- gourmet meals, game drives -- we didn't have to lift a finger.  And it didn't hurt that they charged us less than half the normal rate !

Can you blame me for planning to go back again this weekend ?  Yes, I am heading back tomorrow with Anaisa, my Portuguese house-mate. I have only 3 weekends left here, and I am thrilled to be able to spend another one in the bush.

Here is a taste of what we did and saw:

Amanda and John, in the Motswiri Lodge lounge.
Naki and Tomek.
The gang, at Jaci's Safari Lodge for lunch.
Amanda and I with our guide Andre.
Roughing it in the bush.
Our gorgeous room, with fireplace, spa tub, and outdoor shower over-looking the water hole.
Amanda's first safari experience !

Yup - We got this close !



Flat tire from following lions over the stony terrain.
Can't forget the little guys !

Hyena with remnants of wildebeest.


Rhino.

The kudu is my favourite antelope.  I love the curly horns!

Lunch time!
Wildebeest.
We followed this black maned lion for quite a while.   
He was looking for his pride, and would call out for them every now and then.

Eventually, he gave up and flopped down under a tree.
Have you got my best side ?

Chin rest.
Mom and babe.



This pride of two lionesses and nine cubs was feasting on a zebra.





No comments:

Post a Comment