Tuesday 1 January 2013

Happy New Year !

I had picked up the ingredients for a pizza party for one, selected a dvd to watch on my laptop, and was prepared for a quiet night at home.  I had just returned from a Christmas trip to Kruger, Swaziland and Durban, and was ready for an early night to catch up on a bit of holiday sleep deprivation.  My landlord wouldn't hear of that, and insisted I join him at a house party.  I didn't think I could handle a long, loud, boisterous night, so I told him I would think about it.  As I was mentally convincing myself of the benefits of staying in, my body was hopping into the shower, picking out an outfit, getting dressed, and putting my keys and emergency cab fare in my purse.  Before I knew it, I was in Mike's passenger seat and on my way to the New Year's Eve house party.

We were hosted by a couple who run a Portuguese cafe.  It seems they are in the right line of work, because they had prepared a sophisticated, gourmet seafood feast of appetizers by the pool followed by a fish stew cooked in a South African potjie, a three-legged cast iron pot placed over an open fire. We lingered over dinner, as one should for a home-cooked, gourmet meal, and finished just in time to mark the stroke of twelve with a champagne toast.

After the toast, we jumped into the pool !  Apparently, it is Portuguese tradition to take a midnight swim in the sea to wash away the sins of the past year.  I didn't have a swimsuit, so jumped in fully (well, partially) clothed.  It didn't take long to dry off in the hot desert air.  A buffet of fresh fruit and Portuguese baking was then presented on the outdoor dining table. I was given a peck on the lips by the flirtatious resident parrot, who must have been after the crumbs.  At 2 am, when the host started dancing on his head to Shakira, we decided it was time to return home.

Who knows where I will find myself next New Year's Eve ?  Most likely, back in wintery Edmonton with my friends. I am sure I will enjoy the company and whatever repast is served, but it is not too likely that I will be jumping into any bodies of water or kissing exotic birds. However, I will issue a challenge to my friends to learn to dance on their heads -- we've got to have some fun, afterall !


1 comment:

  1. Doesn't Edmonton host a Polar Bear Dip on New Year's Day? You could still have your new year swim, although it might be very cold for you.

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete